Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Holidays and Kids That Don't Celebrate

We don't celebrate holidays. We're Jehovah's Witnesses and we do our best to live our lives in line with Bible teachings and by following in Christ's footsteps as well as humanly possible. We do ok. There's always room for improvement, but we try.

Holidays are coming up and that poses some challenges. I know my kids have a sense of being different. I know I did. So we try our best to teach them our ways as well as respect the beliefs of other people. So far, so good.

Some holidays are a little harder to avoid having a part in. Thanksgiving, really, is the only one. I say that because it's a historical event, not something rooted in Pagan customs. I think people SHOULD learn about historical events and I support that. But they don't have to say Happy Thanksgiving.

When my oldest was in First Grade he did the Handprint Turkey with the accompanying poem:
This isn't just a handprint
As you can plainly see
I made it with my hand
Which is a part of me!
It comes with lots of love
Especially to say
Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Now, since we give thanks to God EVERY day and do not choose just one day to focus on, we don't take part in Thankgiving Day celebrations.

I have decided that my kids can use the following, modified, poem:
This isn't just a handprint
As you can plainly see
I made it with my hand
Which is a part of me!
It comes with lots of love
Especially to say
Have a very happy day!

I hope that will solve the Thanksgiving issue. My daughter is her teacher's very first Witness student. I hope we are a good example and don't overwhelm her. :)

No comments: